Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content

Skip Navigation LinksProcedure

Education and school attendance

Last Modified: 28-Feb-2022 Review Date: N/A

 ‭(Hidden)‬ Legislation

​Refer to this entry for information child protection services in relation to education.

Refer to Latest Updates for the current public health and social measures regarding masks, social distancing, and access to hospitals, aged and disability care facilities. 

When working with other organisations and agencies, work collaboratively.  Communicate with them to check how their day-to-day functioning is being affected, and their requirements for working safely.  Be mindful when undertaking case management tasks, including safety planning, that other agencies' regular provision of services may be impacted and take this into consideration in making your plans.

Refer to COVID-19 Recording in Assist in related resources for information on recording.

You  should consider this guidance with all approved information provided on the following sites


Your safety and the safety and wellbeing of children, parents and families who come into contact with the Department must be the focus and priority in all interactions.

For any matters or actions in your work that relate to the potential transmission or diagnosis of COVID-19, you should:

  • consult your line manager
  • escalate issues to your district director as required, and
  • ensure accurate recording, including documenting rationales for the cancellation of activities/actions.

You must continue to refer to all usual practice guidance contained in Casework Practice Manual entries, except where an item on this page overrides guidance outlined in that entry.

The Department must continue to deliver essential services to the community.

Information and Instructions

  • School Attendance
  • Catholic Education Western Australia
  • Association of Independent Schools of Western Australia
  • TAFE and registered training organisations (RTOs)
  • Technology requests
  • Consultation
  • School Attendance

    To confirm if schools and childcare centres are open during a period of lockdown, refer to the Department of Education for their latest advice. Alternately, workers and carers can contact their local school for information in their region.   

    Children aged 12 years and over are required to wear a mask in public, including at school.

    If a carer or Community Service Organisation (CSO) advise that their preference is for a child not to attend school during a lockdown, you must consider, and where relevant, obtain the following information:

    • medical advice from the child's General Practitioner or medical team
    • medical advice related to other household members and their vulnerability to COVID-19
    • if the carer can support distance or online learning (if offered)
    • the child's educational needs (this may require a discussion with the child's educators), and the child's social needs and how they will continue to be met while not attending school (this may include Zoom, Skype or Facetime with family and friends, participating in online learning activities etc).

    You must arrange a case planning discussion with the child's care team members if no agreement can be reached. Consider their views when determining an outcome that is in the child's best interests.

    If the carer or CSO (if applicable) is not satisfied with the outcome, you must inform them of the complaints process.

    Catholic Education Western Australia

    ​Refer to the Catholic Education WA website for their latest advice. 


    Association of Independent Schools of Western Australia

    ​Independent Schools have legal status in their own right and is separately constituted. You should either contact the school or encourage carers to contact the school for current advice.


    TAFE and registered training organisations (RTOs)

    Refer to each institution's website for the latest advice. 


    Technology requests

    ​Discuss any requests for education support around technology with your team leader and assess them on a case-by-case basis. 



    Liaise with your local Education Officer to make plans for individual children as required.

    Districts without an Education Officer may contact the Principal Education Officer, Specialist Child Protection Unit, Jacqui Coverley, email:   


Related Resources

 ‭(Hidden)‬ Policies

 ‭(Hidden)‬ Standards